Sarah S’s Shrimp and Corn Soup
- 2 lbs fresh shrimp in shells
- 1 cup fresh crab meat
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium green pepper, cored and deiced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 4 cups of fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup scallions, diced
- salt, black and hot red pepper to taste
Peel shrimp, setting aside shells
Fill medium stockpot halfway with water, add salt to taste and bring to a boil. Add shrimp shells, one bay leaf and Tony Cachere’s seasoning (which you can buy online). Turn down to medium heat and simmer for one hour. Then strain stock and return to pot.
In a separate skillet, sauté celery, onions and green pepper in olive oil for about three minutes, then add the stock along with tomatoes and corn. Simmer for ten minutes. Then add shrimp and crabmeat, season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer another five minutes then remove from heat. Serve in small soup bowls and sprinkle with diced scallions as garnish.