Barbara’s Corn Bread Stuffing
This recipe is the one I have used for years. It is adapted from one of Craig Claiborne’s recipes and is enough for a 12 to 15 pound turkey.
- 3 cups crumbled day-old corn bread
- 3 cups lightly packed good white bread cut into cubes
- 1 cup butter
- 2 ½ cups chopped onion
- 2 ½ cups chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil or 1½ tsps dried
- salt to taste
- ¾ tsp or more freshly ground pepper (fresh ground is important)
- 1 finely chopped bay leaf
- Tabasco sauce to taste
Crumble corn bread into a large mixing bowl. Toast bread cubes in a 375 degree oven, and when brown, add to corn bread. Heat half the butter in a large skillet and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir over moderate heat for 20 minutes. Add remaining butter and stir until it melts. You can either stuff the turkey with this, or put it in a baking dish, dot it with butter, and bake it for an hour in a pre-heated 350 degree oven.